Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Teaching The Truth

For over twenty years I have taught elementary students in the only way I know how. That is to help them see the world around them as it truly is, not what they are taught by society to believe. Of course, this has also meant "playing the game" and fullfilling my mandate as a public educator. However, the real world is so much more than we teach. It is a world of wonders, whereas we teach a world of words. While words can have beauty, they are not the real world. To describe the parts of a flower is not to experience a flower. To talk about nature is not to feel and smell nature all around you. Our kids are saturated with false images everytime they turn on the television. They are told that happiness lies in the things that can never last, can never bring peace and joy. I propose that if we are to make changes in the world we need to look at the way we are teaching them and this means perhaps taking a hard look at what we value. My forthcoming book will explore the shifts that are needed to be made to make this possible. I hope I can share my ideas and I invite your opinions through this blog.

1 comment:

  1. That is true as you know I am a Child And Youth Worker in the capacity of the school board the diverse issues that children face today-is much more complex. I really try to immerse myself in their world understanding that they entered this world at times quite beautiful-and other times not so forgiven. When I started in my profession I had tihs dream that I will save all the kids I work with I will make them better citizens to blend within our society. That was not the case obviously and so my new goal is to try my best each day to teach the values of hardwork, self love, respect for others, respect for the world in which we share.

    ReplyDelete